- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds fresh plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 2- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1Â medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 log polenta, sliced into thinly
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in vinegar, italian seasoning, basil and black pepper. Remove sauce from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a large cast-iron skillet or grill pan over medium heat
- Lightly brush eggplant slices with the remaining tablespoon oil. Working in batches, lay slices in skillet in a single layer; cook until browned and they begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- In a large skillet, add enough oil to coat the bottom.Â Add polenta slices and cook until slightly brown on both sides
- Spoon about 1/2 cup tomato sauce into a baking dish, spreading to coat evenly. Arrange eggplant slices snugly in a single layer. Spoon about 1 cup tomato sauce over eggplant, and arrange polenta rounds in slightly overlapping slices on top. Repeat with sauce and another layer of eggplant. Finish by dotting with remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake until bubbling, about 30 minutes
- Remove foil and continue baking about 15 minutes more
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly, and serve
Cook Time and Prep Time: 60 min